There is increasing demand for Solar Street light these days and for obvious reasons. One important reason is overall cost savings in the long run, and the other is efficient lighting. The solar LED light system as the name suggests converts energy from the sun into electricity and is easy to install and gives high intensity LED output. It is not necessary to switch on or switch off the solar LED’s light manually. These lights automatically operate from night until morning. In this article, we would discuss some of the top solar energy uses, applications and examples.
The Solar Street light consists of the following
- Solar Panels: Solar panel is known as Photovoltaic cell which uses light energy from the Sun to convert solar energy into electricity. This electricity can be used to run many applications.
- LED light: LED light which is used in solar street lights, emits brighter light with low energy consumption. A single LED will emit less light than compact fluorescent or incandescent. But a set of LEDs give brighter light than other lamps.
- Rechargeable battery: These batteries are used for storing electricity received by the solar panel during daytime, and it provides electricity at night.
- Controller: Controller is used to control when to switch on and switch off the street lights. It also controls battery from undercharging and overcharging. It consists of MCU, secondary power supply and battery charger, etc.
- Pole: For every street light, 12 Feet pole is required so that some components like batteries, fixtures, and panels can be mounted.
- Interconnecting cables: Battery box, LED light, and the solar panel are mounted on the top of pole and they are connected through interconnected cables. A PV module is connected with a controller and it is connected with battery and LED lamps. Size of the cable depends on current, how much it is used and the pole size.
Top 5 Applications of Street Lights and its Uses
1. Airport Lighting
Many Airports are equipped with solar lights because they are easy to install with no conventional electricity cost. These LED lights are installed at the runway and are portable. On the other hand, the maintenance is needed only once in 7 years. These lights are used for safe Aircraft operations at night time.
2. Highway and roadway lighting
The Solar LED street lights are also very easy to install. By the help of these lights, risk of accidents is minimized as there are no external wires needed for electric connections. These lights can be installed easily in the remote roadway or highway where there is no electricity. The LED Streetlight provides clear visibility for the pedestrian and drivers. High-quality illumination LED light system beautifies urban area at night without polluting the environment.
3. Park and Playground lighting
Solar lighting systems are beneficial for park and playground lighting needs as it helps to light signs, trails, pavilions and parking lot. They are independent of the grid, so they can be installed anywhere in the park where there is a need for proper lighting. These lights provide safety for children who play after dark and also to the officials in order to secure the area during the night. These days, most of the cricket or football matches are held at night time due to several reasons. So Solar LED lights are installed in the stadium or playgrounds that can provide high power lighting inside the field. For any sport, Playground needs high power lighting, called floodlight which can be achieved by the solar panel at low cost and minimal maintenance.
4. Industrial lighting and commercial lighting
The Solar LED lighting system has exceptional storage system which allows 3 days continuous illumination without any recharge. Industrial areas are bigger in size; therefore, they take a large amount of electricity for outdoor lighting. While installing these solar lights, the cost for electric wires will reduce and maintenance cost will lower. Have a look at some of the Commercial Solar Lighting Services we offer.
5. Outdoor security lighting
Solar powered security lights are illuminated by solar energy which is converted into electric energy. As a result, these are a practical choice for security purpose, as without electricity they can operate at night because the sun provides needed energy during the day. These lights automatically turn on when it senses any motion. They also operate during the cloudy weather conditions and provide reliable lighting anytime. Outdoor lights are very successful in rural areas and Intelizon’s Zonstreet has been satisfyingly deployed it at Rural Maharashtra.
There are many areas such as parking lot, Hospital parking, and residential lighting where these solar-powered street lights are used. These Solar LED street lights require less system for installation and also provide high power lighting when compared to conventional lighting. It also offers shelf-life and minimal maintenance. It provides portability facility and comes with 2 years of warranty. These Solar Street lights are Pollution free lights. Only the cost of initial investment is high when compared to the conventional lights. And only dust, snow, and moisture can hinder the energy production. These lights are not a practical option for every application because the cost is on a higher side.
Do get in touch with us to discuss more about your requirements here.