Before we understand what better solar street lights are, let us begin by taking a look at what bad solar street lights are. There is much to be learned about generic specifications which can make for a bad solar street light. Salient characteristics of a bad solar street light will not mention anymore than solar panel, sealed lead-acid battery, solid state system controller regulating batteries, low voltage disconnect, LED lamp light fixture producing good street light, light fixture mounting bracket & solar lighting system mounting to pole. These are all vague specifications which are open to a number of interpretations. This is most likely to lead to purchase of cheap quality of solar street lighting systems offering poor reliability, performance & diminished return on investments.
Go for Good Quality of Solar Street Lights
This means you look for detailed specifications which precisely establish how your solar street lighting system is going to perform. Some of these essential parameters that can tell you about the solar street light you intend to purchase include the following.
- Solar Power System – These specifications should include the type & number of solar modules used in the array. It should also tell you whether they are single of multiple crystal solar panels & about total solar array wattage.
- Type of Solar Light Fixture – Salient characteristics of light fixtures include lumens per watt provided, type of lamping, light distribution patterns & light level delivery. Other details of the solar light fixture may include fixture bracket arm & fixture mounting height as well.
- Light Level Details – Areas that can be illuminated should be specified. More details the better it is. Lighting uniformity ratios can also be mentioned. But specifying light levels according to equivalency should be avoided as it can lend to several different interpretations. Foot candle specification is better & a quantifiable measurement of light.
- System Controller – This should include description of nightly system of operation. It is critical for ensuring that the solar street lighting system meets a certain requirement. Dusk to dawn is not enough information with adaptive lighting systems being installed.
- Battery – Type of battery should also include total amp-hours of the battery & autonomous battery storage which will ensure reliable year round performance of the system. Five nights of storage by the battery should be considered as minimum. Other salient features of the battery should pertain to battery box, battery box mount & other construction materials including ratings if any.
- Light Pole – The light pole is equally important. Specifications should mention about the anchor base, direct burial, steel, aluminum, concrete & composite. It should support the total weight of the solar street lighting system including the wind loads expected in the area.
Intelizon’s Zonstreet CCTV
Intelizon’s solar based perimeter street lighting with inbuilt CCTV also serves as a surveillance system. This solar street light system features LED lights, an inbuilt dimmer, lithium ion batteries & a light sensor. Integrating CCTV to light provides a wireless state-of-the-art surveillance system which effectively combines outdoor lighting with security. Download the specifications document to know more about Zonstreet CCTV.